The crochet tutor is excellent. A really good communicator and educator. At least one of her pupils is not a natural to say the least. I really should have photographed the thing that others will turn into a nice decorative square before I unpicked it it. It was forgetfulness rather than embarrassment, honestly. Still I learned a lot of the technique and should I want to continue I have all the foundations.
And I'm not sure Steeking (whatever it is) is for Liz either!
The afternoon class is a talk on The Prehistory Of Clothing by a professor of archaeology over at the University college. And absolutely fascinating it is too. Another excellent speaker, injecting humour into a fascinating presentation. Would have asked for access to his slides had he not been busy with others taking to him.
So here's a question. Who knows what a "Tombolo"? Well we're not only going to walk across one but also spent the evening overlooking one. Tomorrow's classes (for both of us) are down in the tiny village of Bigton which overlooks St Ninian's Isle where a superb hoard of Pictish gold was found by a schoolboy in the 1950's.
A Tombolo is a narrow sandy isthmus tying an island to the land. Like this one
In the better light before that was taken we walked over to the island
On the way back we stopped to see this on the sand
This will give it away
Yes it's a beach sauna, with the cold part outside
I suspect the water is taken from the northern shore of the tombolo where it is 9⁰ as opposed to the barmy 12⁰ on the other side of the sand.
But it's a nice location
And a sailing boat comes in to make the scene complete
Right tea time now, the sun is in its way down
Just 28 miles today
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.