Thursday, 3 October 2024

Tuesday, being a numpty is expensive!

No classes this morning but Liz has Knitting Two Socks on one needle after lunch and I am going to a talk/exhibition entitled Archaeological Textiles at the museum. 

So a free morning. We'd initially planned a museum tour or a trip to the Upp Helly'A exhibition. But we have to go into town. Numpty here stupidly assumed a couple of his meds were in strips of 28. No, of course they are in 14s, two weeks worth and I don't quite have enough. 

But first things first, the brewery was good enough to allow us to overnight in their car park last night, so we should get up early and get our of the way before the workday starts. Fortunately one of the places Liz had a class at yesterday does a cooked breakfast so we don't even need a morning cuppa before moving, full Scottish breakfast awaits!

So pop to Boots where the pharmacist will provide a week's supply with minimal fuss, once I show my NHS app and the repeat prescription. Only downside in the Untied Kingdom, I'm in Scotland now and they can't charge back to the English NHS so I will need to pay. Just a few pence short of twenty quid too! I really should have gone with plan B and just missed my meds one day in 3 for a couple of weeks! But that'll teach me for not checking (annoyingly one of the other meds I did realise was in 14s and so packed more than enough!)

Compensation of sorts is finding a CD I've been looking for in the 3 for a pound section!

Time to slowly head back to the museum which is the Wool Week hub, but we get waylaid by a sign informing us the distillery is just a couple of streets away. Now they are not yet distilling, that comes shortly, but they do have a Shetland barrel aged blend of two 8 year old single malts. We ask for a tasting and it's very easy drinking so we buy a bottle (we were going to anyway!). But I get chatting (as I do) and suddenly the door to the rear of the shop is opened and we are invited for a quick impromptu tour of the almost operational distillery. I wish them every success.

Off we go to our classes. 

Here's a Viking mitten (in 2/2 twill)

and an undated dropped ball of wool that is probably quite old as the peat was about 2 feet deep

We've arranged to meet back at the hub. It's a hive of activity 
Everywhere this week there is the clicking of knitting needles. 

Now tonight, we have entertainment booked, here at the museum but first, where to park for the night? Liz has found a nice quiet car park tucked away in the corner of a small estate of offices but we've just noticed a couple of vans parked on the dockside almost directly outside the museum. One of the free spaces there would do (Shetland is very laid back re such things). So that's the plan. 

Wander off to the Co-op to get something for tea and take a couple of snaps in the way back 

Altogether now "I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay, watchin' the ride roll away"

Entertainment is a traditional Shetland at home style evening of storytelling, music and song. The acoustics in the room weren't great but the music and stories were
Right time for beef but let's admire the view from the van first, eh. 
Today's milage - not many



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.