First stop Tebay Services, for the necessary comfort break and a look around the interesting farm shop. Such a cut above your typical noisy Starbucks and McDonald's service stations. The bread looked interesting and we settled on a small dark loaf baked with treacle and added walnuts and raisins. Also I took the opportunity to stock up with a bottle of Sam Smith's excellent 8% abv old ale Yorkshire Stingo and also one of their Imperial Stouts. Hard to choose, they really did have a good range of local brewery ales and prices but too adrift from most supermarkets. Wonder if the beers will actually make it home as intended, anyway we'll probably stop at Tebay again on the return route.
Mind you we did pass on this cheese
On to the half way point Lockerbie and another stop for a walk around. This time to discover Higson's beer in Home Bargains.
I didn't know they were brewing again, I though they'd closed the brewery not long after I left Liverpool some 50 years ago! Some Googling suggests the H1780 brewhouse acquired the rights to the name in 2017. Still the bottles being back fond memories.
Lockerbie is smaller than expected and they usually solid Scottish stone look that always accentuates any hint of downturn
Sheep seemed important
Sadly it was cold and deary and we wanted to press on so we didn't go and find the memorial garden to the 1988 plane bombing.
Onwards, and a snack on that treacle bread. That settles it we will definitely be selling at Tebay on the way back!
Glasgow is really easy to circumnavigate, fast motorways although the interchange from the M8 J13 onto the M80 definitely had a bit of The Bonfire Of The Vanities feel about it. A very strange interchange.
But soon we are off the motorways and driving through the north suburbs towards Lenzie and then out into the rural suburbs and the wonderfully named Milton Of Campsie. Leaving Milton we turn off and upwards into the Campsies themselves, a driver's road, fast stretches mixed with tight bends as it winds up into the hills. Obviously a tourist spot as many cars parked off road in the tiny parking spaces. Cyclists too, and, of course, the need to be wary of bend-hugging motorcyclists.
So tonight's destination is
but it was the top line of this that attracted me
Sadly the IPA went as my pint was being pulled but the Golden Ale was excellent.
We're here early, just after 3pm. Why? Because they have an acoustic music session.
They were good and played until 5, so am early dinner as it was obvious that the restaurant was going to be heaving tonight. Once again, excellent food (I elected for Sunday roast, Liz for the lighter chicken Caesar salad).
Now another attraction of this place is that the Uncharted Whisky company is based out of here. Not a bad little menu
and I think I might be tempted by a couple (and I wouldn't be surprised if a bottle found it's way into the van either!)
So an early finish to this diary today. I may not be capable later.
Here's the 188 miles
Another day where traffic was kind and research into overnight stops was rewarded!
Post Scriptum three of those very interesting whiskies were sampled!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.