Today's plan was to walk almost two and a half miles of the West Highland Way as it snakes around Loch Lomond, to the pub at Balmaha where we can sit, next to the loch, drinking beer brewed by the nearby Loch Lomond Brewery.
Before I post a map of the route let's look at the pair of Gossanders we spotted en route (so that the first pic will become the main blog pic)
Anyway here's is the delightful route around party of the loch
It was a bit awkward in a few places and Liz definitely needed a helping hand on a few of the rocks and rough ground slopes.
Anyone who knows us will know this is nothing short of amazing; two months ago Liz was in so much pain that walking much past the end of our road was a challenge! This holiday was barely contemplated, probably why it is so scantily planned. But here she is, walking almost 5 miles in total of the West Highland Way
What else, the sun was glorious (especially on the return route) although the shaded woods still showed that spring has yet to fully spring. Bluebells were started to come through but this wouls be a glorious walk in a couple of weeks. The beaches around the loch hosted small groups, often with barbeques and a few hardy souls were striped down, either pre or apres-swin!
Wildlife: Liz has some flora photos but for fauna we heard Willow Warblers and Blackcaps most of the way and even caught a fleeting glimpse of a Blackcap at one point. But the Gossanders were definitely the high point. Mind you, I've not seen bilberries in fruit for many a year.
An early sign of spring was a surprisingly small Peacock butterfly, closer examination showed its diminutive size was because half its very tatty wings were missing. Probably a hardy survivor from last autumn fresh out of hibernation.
And I suppose some sort of snap of the loch itself is obligatory
Next to the pub at Balmaha was a garden dedicated to the Scottish mountaineer, outdoors man, author and broadcaster Tom Weir. Not someone I was familiar with (not sure I've even heard of his famous Weir's Way TV series, but it may have been Scottish only). Anyway I should honour him too
Oh, the pub, nearly forgot. They did indeed have two handpumps with Loch Lomond beers (Bonnie & Blond and Southern Summit), it would have been fitting to have had their West Highland Way but sadly that was off. But we stayed for lunch, Liz having the lighter option of jacket potato with haggis and beans, whilst I went for the "Locally caught" haggis with clapshot (potato and swede mash). I must say that these wild mountain haggis have far more flavour and a far more peppery taste than their farmed lowland equivalent!
On last picture, despite the odour this arrival at the campsite did make me smile
I hope the writing on the cab door is also readable if you zoom in (all the blog photos are reduced in size for faster loading)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.