And to be fair it was good, I had three thick slices of beef and the slightly blackened edge suggested wood fire or smoke involved somewhere in the cooking process. I would have liked to try the Cullen Skink soup as a starter but didn't think I could manage. Shame really as the cheesecake dessert was distinctly average, so the starter would have been the better option.
This time the bill was split by table. Our table, all going for the carvery dessert deal. We also all had drinks (my 250cl [yes, ⅓ bottle] of montepulciano d'abruzzo I though excellent value at £8.50, especially as it was rather good. Anyway we were two couples so the 76.85 bill we rounded up a bit and split in two, paying £43 each including tip
Come on, who's on the ball??? It was only when I got back to the van that it hit me - four of us on the table all having £20 meals and drinks, that's £80 plus drinks (a quick guesstimate was that drinks, including my £8.50 wine, came to almost exactly £20). That's £100. With tips £110, so £55 each. Well that's my £15 shortfall from Friday night's cock-up covered and my mate wins a few quid. See what I mean about karma!
Back to the van and typical Sunday afternoon stupor, a large meal and alcohol does that. The weather wasn't conducive to the group sitting outside so Liz and I sat and tussled with, swore at, and generally struggled with the the various campsite and ferry websites and apps before wrestling some sort of coherent trip into shape. All the ferries are now booked, as are key campsites. We appear to be covered around the island and back to the mainland but there's a couple of more details still need sorting. It was pretty close to bedtime but the time we'd finished! It's hard work this, these sorts of holidays don't organise themselves y'know
Note: today's image is a copyright free carvery image just used to give the post a picture and despite being not dissimilar to the Black Bull in Moffat's carvery is not them (well it could be, but most unlikely)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.